Will Keller & Keller Handle My Property Damage Claim After an Indiana Auto Accident?

Front of a white car damaged by an auto accident on the roadAs an Indianapolis personal injury attorney team, Keller and Keller’s focus is on recovering a financial settlement for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. We will negotiate with the insurance company for the at-fault driver and, if necessary, take them to court to recover what you are entitled to for your injuries. If you are also seeking compensation from the other driver’s insurance company for the damage done to your car, we can usually handle that for you as well, but that may not be necessary.

Property Damage Claims Are Usually Straightforward

The easiest way to handle property damage is to file a claim with the liable party’s insurance company yourself. These claims are usually simple to prove and the cost is a fixed amount, so there is no negotiating. A few phone calls should take care of it. If the other insurance company is disputing the claim and you have collision insurance, your best bet is to file with your own company and let them deal with the other company. At worst, you will be out the amount of your deductible, but that may be recovered if liability is proven.

Personal Injury and Property Damage Are Separate Claims

Auto insurance policies have separate coverage allowances for bodily injury and property damage. In Indiana, drivers are required to carry a minimum of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in bodily injury coverage. When a claim is filed against the policy, the settlement will come out of that coverage. However, a claim for property damage will come out of the required minimum of $10,000 in property damage coverage. These claims are handled separately by the insurance company. If you were to hire an insurance company to handle just your property damage claim, the attorney fees would probably quickly drain the potential award amount.

James R. Keller
Connect with me
Partner at Keller & Keller