The bright sun and clear blue skies of New Mexico tempt bikers of all ages and abilities out onto the long, straight roadways. Whatever brings you out on your motorcycle in the Albuquerque area, you should be able to ride without worrying about another driver causing a crash that leaves you seriously injured. Unfortunately, injury crashes are all too common for bikers in New Mexico. Here, we discuss the kinds of injuries riders often sustain and how to get the compensation you deserve from the negligent driver.
Motorcyclists Are Vulnerable
You may feel powerful and free when you are riding your motorcycle, but the lack of protection around you—even if you are wearing a helmet and safety gear—makes you very vulnerable to serious injury if you crash. Distracted, impaired, and just plain lousy drivers can make your life as a biker very difficult. When a car cuts you off, clips you, or runs you off the road, you may sustain one or more of the following injuries:
- Broken bones. When a biker hits the pavement, the impact can break any number of bones. A serious compound fracture or a broken pelvis or vertebra could result in permanent disability.
- Spinal cord injury. When the spinal cord is damaged in a motorcycle crash, the rider could be left partially or completely paralyzed.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI). Even when wearing a helmet, a biker can suffer brain damage when the impact of the crash rattles his brain in his skull. Loss of cognitive ability and motor control are possible outcomes of a motorcycle crash TBI.
- Road rash. While it may not sound serious, when bare skin hits pavement, the rider can lose layers of flesh, requiring skin grafts and risking deadly infections.
- Internal injuries. The rider may look fine on the outside but may have suffered organ damage or other internal injuries from the impact of the collision. He or she will need immediate medical treatment to diagnose these serious injuries.
Any of these injuries may be catastrophic enough to require extensive medical treatment, surgery, rehabilitation, and ongoing care for many years. This kind of treatment can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and, whether you have private insurance or not, you should not have to pay when someone else caused the accident.
Our Attorneys Will Fight for the Motorcycle Accident Recovery You Deserve
The motorcycle attorneys at Keller & Keller get bikers because we are bikers. We support your right to be on the road and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve when a careless driver causes your crash. Contact our Albuquerque office as soon as possible after your injury. We are here for you when you need us most.