Because motorcycle riders often have undeserved reputations as risk-takers and thrill-seekers, they are often blamed for the accidents they are injured in. However, as attorneys who ride motorcycles and represent motorcycle clients, we understand that this blame is often unfounded. We know that bikers are usually more aware of their surroundings and are better defensive drivers than the typical automobile driver. That’s why we take their cases and fight for them in court.
How to Beat Biker Bias From the Insurance Company
Even when a motorcycle crash was clearly caused by the automobile driver, the at-fault driver’s insurance company will do their best to blame the rider. They will attempt to use unfair tactics to deflect fault from their client. Our motorcycle accident attorneys protect injured bikers by building a defense that includes:
- Evidence of the driver’s fault. Our team will conduct a thorough investigation of the crash, including talking to witnesses, watching traffic camera footage, examining the police report, and pulling up the driver’s previous record. Presenting irrefutable proof of their client’s fault is the best way to make an insurer take responsibility.
- Medical records. Motorcycle riders often suffer catastrophic injuries in collisions with cars and trucks. Presenting our client’s medical records showing the severity of his injuries and comparing them to the driver’s injuries and damages can be convincing evidence.
- Safe riding records. If our client owns and wears a helmet, has a clean record with no history of violating New Mexico motorcycle laws, and has attended riding safety classes, we will present this information to the insurance company as further proof of our client’s innocence.
- Refuting false statements. It will be very important to refute the insurance adjuster’s claims against our clients one by one and present evidence to contradict their version of the crash.
- Carefully selecting jury members. If we cannot get the insurance company to agree to a fair settlement, we will take the case to trial and select a jury that is sympathetic to motorcycle riders.
We have helped hundreds of bikers get the compensation they deserved from biased insurance companies and courts, and we can help you, too. If you were seriously injured in a bike crash caused by a negligent driver in New Mexico, call our Albuquerque office to find out what your next steps should be.