Aggressive Harbor Beach Dog Owner Awaits Dog Attack Sentencing
In August, we covered the story of a tragic MI dog attack in which a young boy was mauled by an aggressive stray dog in Bad Axe, Michigan. In the case, the boy was approached by a dangerous dog while feeding his own dog in the back yard. Six-year-old Luke Volmering was treated for serious dog bites on his hands and face at Children’s Hospital in Michigan, Detroit, and given precautionary rabies shots.
Now authorities are saying that they are not sure if they charged the right person for the stray dog attack. The child was attacked on August 20, and the child’s father shot the charged man’s dog the next day, assuming it was the same dog. Police say that 30-year-old Randy M. Weiss will still face misdemeanor charges of having an unlicensed dog and of having a stray dog.
Sentencing will take place on March 11 in Huron County.
Dog Bite Checklist
What to Do if You're Attacked
- Seek immediate medical attention
- Take photographs of the wounds
- Call 911 or animal control to report the incident
- Take photographs of the dog (if it's safe to do so)
- Gather information about the dog owner (name, address, phone number, insurance info)
- Contact an experienced dog bite attorney