Family Arrested After Pet Wolf Hybrid Attacked Another Dog
According to the Journal Courier, Cass County Animal Control was called to Beardstown when a neighbor reported that a dog had jumped a fence and attacked their dachshund. When Animal Control arrived on the scene, they found that the aggressive dog was a wolf hybrid owned by Harold and Tara Lanier. Just a year earlier, a similar incident occurred at the same house with a different wolf hybrid, which are illegal in Illinois. Last year, they took the animal away and didn’t press charges.
The couple admitted that they had bought several part-wolf dogs in Indiana and other states over the years, but usually kept the pets in a pen or in their home. Authorities say that they are trying to place the wolf-dog hybrid with an appropriate rescue group in another state.
Wolf hybrids have a history of being involved in dog attacks and many experts believe they are more dangerous than other dogs because of their genetics. If you or a loved one have been attacked by a wolf hybrid, speak with an Illinois dog bite lawyer today about your case.
Dog Bite Checklist
What to Do if You're Attacked
- Seek immediate medical attention
- Take photographs of the wounds
- Call 911 or animal control to report the incident
- Take photographs of the dog (if it's safe to do so)
- Gather information about the dog owner (name, address, phone number, insurance info)
- Contact an experienced dog bite attorney