A nine-year-old girl was riding her bike in Benton, Illinois, this week when she was attacked by a loose pit bull. The girl did not provoke the aggressive dog before the attack, which ended in 25 stitches over four puncture wounds at a local hospital.
In the wake of the dog attack, which took place in a Franklin County trailer park, the owner of the 8-month-old dog was charged with three different counts of child endangerment. One of the counts involved the girl on her bicycle, while the other two were in regards to children living in the man’s home. The man, 29-year-old Brian Copperthite, resides in West City, Illinois, and has not commented on the dog attack or the related charges.
The dog was put to sleep after the attack and Franklin County animal control is awaiting rabies test lab results.
Dog Bite Checklist
What to Do if You're Attacked
- Seek immediate medical attention
- Take photographs of the wounds
- Call 911 or animal control to report the incident
- Take photographs of the dog (if it's safe to do so)
- Gather information about the dog owner (name, address, phone number, insurance info)
- Contact an experienced dog bite attorney