According to Sturgis Post Office supervisor Tom Picker, the street in that area of town is infamous for dangerous and aggressive dogs and the neighborhood is simply too dangerous to deliver mail to. Picker said that mail would not resume for the time being in that area and that the dog would have to be removed.
The dog’s owner, Kipp Vanzile, said that they have trained their pit bulls and have even used a shock collar on the dogs. Although Vanzile issued a public apology, she does not have plans to get rid of her pet.
Dog Bite Checklist
What to Do if You're Attacked
- Seek immediate medical attention
- Take photographs of the wounds
- Call 911 or animal control to report the incident
- Take photographs of the dog (if it's safe to do so)
- Gather information about the dog owner (name, address, phone number, insurance info)
- Contact an experienced dog bite attorney