Indianapolis Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys
Year after year, July 4th is the most dangerous day to be on the road according to many resources including the Institute for Highway Safety. Our Indianapolis personal injury attorney recognizes that summer holidays are often associated with drinking and traveling – a deadly combination. During the summer months, the following alcohol-related activities increase:
- Driving under the influence
- Boating under the influence
- Underage drinking
These activities are about individual responsibility and choice. Every summer, thousands are injured or killed due to the irresponsibility of those who drink and drive. According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, drunk driving accidents kill more than 10,000 people a year and injuries more than 290,000.
Despite continued efforts by law enforcement to stop drunk driving, it continues to be an issue. So, how can you protect yourself and your loved ones?
How to Stay Safe on the Road
First, and most obviously, do not drink and drive! Not only is it a criminal offense, but getting behind the wheel while impaired puts yourself and others at risk. In today’s world, there is no excuse. With the availability of services like Uber and Lyft, it is easy to get a ride from almost anywhere.
Secondly, if you see a friend or family member trying to get behind the wheel after drinking, try to intervene. Take their keys, call them a ride, or offer them a place to stay until they can sober up.
Third, to protect yourself and your loved ones from impaired drivers, be alert on the roadway.
- Avoid the road between the hours of midnight to 3 am. According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, the highest percentage of alcohol-impaired drivers are on the road during this time.
- Drive defensively. If you are driving behind or near someone that you suspect is impaired, be ready to take action. Keep your distance or let them pass you. If the vehicle is headed directly toward you, pull to the right, honk, and flash your lights.
- Wear your seatbelt. Wearing a seatbelt is your best protection in an unavoidable accident.
- Be aware of the most dangerous roads and intersections near you.
Keller & Keller Represents Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents in Indiana, Michigan, and New Mexico
We have represented thousands of people injured in accidents caused by the irresponsibility of drunk drivers. We have zero tolerance for the excuses of the drunk driver’s insurance company and will make sure they pay. No matter the circumstances, if you or a loved one was injured or killed by a drunk driver we will help you obtain maximum compensation.