Slip and Fall Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Part Two

Keller & Keller LLP's second edition of the most common frequently asked questions involving slip and fall accidents.  

I fell in my apartment - is my landlord responsible?

Like so many of these general questions, the answer is different depending on the details of each individual case. Since your landlord owns the property, there is a strong chance that he could be responsible. However, you and your attorney must also establish that he was in control of your building, that he was aware of the dangerous condition that led to the accident, and that his negligence led directly to your injury.

I injured myself while visiting a friend's house - what now?

If your friend owns her house, chances are she has homeowners insurance to protect herself from others' injuries on her property. Likewise, if she rents, she may have renter's insurance. If she does not have renter's insurance, the landlord should have insurance coverage. As we've said before, however, you have to prove who is liable for the accident before all else.

What are the most common sites of slip and fall accidents?

Retail stores, restaurants, fast food places, grocery stores, hotels, cafes, hospitals, public streets, public parks, sidewalks, housing complexes, apartment buildings, hotels, office buildings rest rooms, bathrooms, construction sites, museums, motels, resorts, and parking garages. However, just because we did not list where you fell does not mean that you do not have a case. Talking to an experienced attorney is the only way to verify whether or not you have been involved in an instance of premises liability.

As a business owner, what can I do to prevent customer slips and falls?

The best thing to do is be vigilant of dangerous conditions in and around your business - from the store itself to the sidewalk in front of it to the parking lot. Be especially careful of water, snow, and ice, which are three main causes of fall injuries. If someone reports a situation to you involving an unsafe condition, repair it immediately - if it can be proven that you knew about a hazardous condition that you did not fix, you will be found liable. In general, if you care for your customers' safety, you will not find yourself in a premises liability situation.

Do I need a slip-and-fall attorney?

Technically, some slip-and-fall cases can be handled on your own in a small claims court. However, the majority should and will require the help of a specialized and experienced attorney. He can assess your case, interact with the parties involved, and handle the insurance companies. If you are not sure whether or not you need a lawyer, you should certainly take advantage of a free, no-obligation consultation in which you can learn more about the legal repercussion of your case.
James R. Keller
Connect with me
Partner at Keller & Keller