You have made the wise decision to hire an attorney to represent you in your car accident claim, but what should you do now? The simple answer is this: follow all of your attorney’s instructions and do not do anything that could jeopardize your claim. What does that mean? Find out here.
What You Can Do to Help Your Car Accident Lawyer
In your first consultation with your lawyer, he will tell you what he needs you to do. Be sure to listen carefully and following his instructions. In general, he may ask you to do the following:
- See a doctor as soon as possible to be assessed for injuries.
- Follow all of your doctor’s orders and make every effort to recover from your injuries.
- Refer all inquiries about the accident from any insurance company to his office.
- Do not give a recorded statement about the accident to anyone.
- Do not sign any documents related to the case without your lawyer’s permission.
- Send copies of all bills related to the accident to your attorney, even if your insurance company has paid them.
- Notify your attorney immediately when you have been released from medical care and have returned to work.
- Do not post anything related to your car accident to social media.
- Return all phone calls from your attorney promptly.
Remember, your attorney will not be able to help you if you do not first help yourself. If the attorney or insurance adjuster for the other driver finds evidence that you are not as injured as you claim to be, he will use this to lower his settlement offer. For example, posting vacation pictures of you water skiing when you have requested damages for a back injury is going to seriously jeopardize your claim.
Keller & Keller Will Steer You in the Right Direction
At Keller & Keller, we will not take your case if we don’t believe we can help you get a significant settlement, but we will only be successful if you follow our instructions and help yourself. Schedule a free consultation today to learn more about working with our Indiana car accident lawyers.