As baby boomers get older and as more people have begun worrying about gas prices, the popularity of motorcycles has increased significantly in recent years. Unfortunately, with more motorcycles on the road, the number of motorcycle accidents, motorcycle accident injuries, and motorcycle accident deaths has increased. Below are a few recent statistics regarding motorcycle accidents in the United States.
• According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), there are 7.1 million motorcycles on the road in the United States, and over one million new motorcycles and dirt bikes are purchased every year.
• In 2008 5,290 people died in motorcycle accidents across the country – the highest number ever recorded.
• The number of motorcycle accidents and fatalities has increased every year for the last decade.
• More and more riders over 40 years of age are being killed in motorcycle crashes – a trend that reflects the aging baby boomers.
• According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), you are 37 times more likely to die in a motorcycle accident than a car accident – and nine times more likely to become injured while riding a motorcycle than while driving a car.
• Last year, 14 percent of all traffic accident deaths involved motorcycles.
• There were 114,000 serious motorcycle accidents last year that involved injuries or property damage.
• One out of three motorcycle accidents involves a rider who is driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Thirty-five percent of fatal motorcycle accidents involve a speeding motorcycle rider.
• The NHTSA estimates that 1,829 bikers were saved by their motorcycle helmets in 2008 – and that almost 1,000 more could have been saved had they worn helmets. Six out of ten motorcycle riders wear a helmet.
Schedule a Free Consultation with an Indiana Auto Accident Lawyer
Our Indianapolis personal injury attorneys at Keller & Keller have years of success handling Indiana auto accident cases, nd would be honored to help you and your family with the legal recovery process while you focus on healing. We offer free consultations and would be happy to answer your questions.
Our Indiana offices are conveniently located in Indianapolis, Granger, and we have been proudly servicing clients throughout the surrounding areas. Contact us online today or call us at 1-800-253-5537.