It Is Vital To Properly Clean And Bandage Dog Bite Wounds
The general rule of thumb regarding the medical treatment of dog bites is to go to the doctor if the dog has punctured the skin at all. It can be extremely difficult to clean out deep puncture wounds enough to prevent infection unless you have the help of a medical professional. In addition, your doctor can assess the wound and let you know if you will need stitches or other help. In addition, your doctor could prescribe you antibiotics to make certain that you will not incur a serious infection after your dog attack.
If you have been bitten by a dog, make sure to:
• Clean the wound as soon as possible, making sure to reach all parts of the wound.
• Place an antibiotic ointment on the wound to further prevent infection.
• Cover the wound with a clean, dry bandage, making sure not to place the bandage too tightly around the injury.
• Immediately make an appointment to see your doctor or go to the emergency room for treatment to ascertain whether you need stitches, oral antibiotics, or other treatments.
• Make sure that the dog that bit you was found and observed for signs or rabies, or confirm that the dog that bit you was up to date on its rabies vaccine.
• Treat your dog bite wound regularly as it heals so as to prevent scarring.
Have you been seriously injured from a dog attack? Talk to an Indianapolis dog bite attorney today.