At Keller & Keller, we have been representing injured people and their families since 1936. We understand the pain, stress, and frustration that can come after an Indiana auto accident. The decisions you make right after the auto accident are critically important in determining the value of your personal injury claim.
If you are involved in a car accident, we suggest you follow six important steps.
Protect Yourself With This Indianapolis Post-Accident Checklist
- Get medical help. If the accident resulted in serious bodily injury, seek medical attention immediately. If you do not need immediate medical attention, proceed to the following steps.
- Call the police. Sometimes after an accident, the vehicles involved may be safe to drive and parties may seemingly only have minor injuries; however, it is still important to call 911 and obtain a detailed police report. A police report provides unbiased documentation of the accident and can be very beneficial in settling your claim. While waiting for the police to arrive, proceed with steps 3 and 4.
- Exchange information. Make sure you obtain the name and phone numbers of all persons involved, including witnesses. Be sure to get insurance information from the other driver or drivers involved.
- Take photographs. Today, almost everyone has a smartphone or a cell phone that takes pictures. It is important to take photographs of the damage to all vehicles involved and to take pictures of the scene. It is also beneficial to take photos of your injuries including cuts and bruises.
- Seek medical attention. Not all injuries are felt right away or are physically obvious. Sometimes, pain from an auto accident doesn’t arise until days later. Seeking proper medical treatment will help you get on the path to 100% recovery.
- Seek legal advice. Before giving a statement to the other driver’s insurance company, or signing any documents, speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.