At Keller & Keller, we have been representing injured people and their families since 1936. We understand the pain, stress, and frustration that can come after an auto accident. The decisions you make right after the accident are critically important in determining the value of your personal injury claim. If you are involved in a car accident, we suggest you follow six important steps.
Protect Yourself With This Post-Accident Checklist
- If the accident resulted in serious bodily injury, seek medical attention immediately. If you do not need immediate medical attention, proceed to the following steps.
- Call the police. Sometimes after an accident, the vehicles involved may be safe to drive and parties may seemingly only have minor injuries; however, it is still important to call 911 and obtain a detailed police report. A police report provides an unbiased documentation of the accident and can be very beneficial in settling your claim. While waiting for the police to arrive, proceed with steps 3 and 4.
- Exchange information. Make sure you obtain the name and phone number of all persons involved, including witnesses. Be sure to get insurance information from the other driver or drivers involved.
- Take photographs. Today, almost everyone has a smartphone or a cell phone that takes pictures. It is important to take photographs of the damage to all vehicles involved and to take pictures of the scene. It is also beneficial to take photos of your injuries including cuts and bruises.
- Seek medical attention. Not all injuries are felt right away or are physically obvious. Sometimes, pain from an auto accident doesn’t arise until days later. Seeking proper medical treatment will help you get on the path to 100% recovery.
- Seek legal advice. Before giving a statement to the other driver’s insurance company, or signing any documents, speak with an experienced injury attorney.
Our Attorneys Are Standing by to Help You!
We’ve been helping injured victims just like you defend their rights for over 75 years. We have offices in Indianapolis, Terre Haute, and Granger, and proudly serve the entire state of Indiana. If you’ve been in an accident and would like a free, no-obligation analysis of your potential claim from an experienced personal injury attorney, contact us today.