When It Comes To Dog Bites, Rabies Is Still An Issue
How can you keep your family safe from rabies?
• Be aware. Many people who get rabies today do not take the threat of rabies seriously.
• Stay far away from stray dogs, especially those that are acting unwell. Call your local animal control officer immediately.
• If you are bitten by a stray dog, immediately have the dog tested for rabies and take all necessary precautions.
• If you are bitten by a stray dog, wash the wound out immediately and call your doctor for treatment as soon as possible.
• Get your dog vaccinated for rabies – not only is it the law, it is also the responsible thing to do in case your dog contracts the disease and bites a human.
• Looks for the symptoms of rabies in your animals and in stray dog, which include aggression, biting, looking dazed, acting depressed, refusing water, and foaming at the mouth.
If contracted and not treated, rabies is always deadly. It is vital to educate your child and stay aware of the disease in order to keep this virus rare in Indiana.